![]() |
| I often use Google alerts to stay on top of news from Hartland. |
Yet at the same time, I rely heavily on news published on the Internet. Aggregating and curating news stories — which essentially means you compile and organize other people's work to repurpose on your website — has an important although controversial role online. So, I'm often monitoring the Press & Argus' website as well as the one for WHMI radio, Livingston Talk and neighboring Patch sites in Fenton and Brighton. In addition, both the site's Facebook and Twitter accounts bring in news via the organizations and people I like and follow where I've found great story ideas such as when a local man posted on Facebook that he won a NASA photo contest or first hearing breaking news on Twitter, such as freeway construction.
In addition, I receive this information in various platforms as well. I typically use a laptop to do my job, but sometimes my iPhone helps me post updates and monitor my email.
All these technologies are just new tools for today's journalist to add to the traditional interviewing and news gathering techniques and successful reporters use old and new skills to tell the most accurate story possible.
What news sources and technology do you use to get your news?

Jillian Reber- I get my news from the local newspaper, The Lapeer County Press. However I do not tend to read the whole paper.I mostly read it because it is in the house and it is local so it has more details about local events. However I mostly get my news from ABC12 both from their television broadcast and from their website. I watch it on television because its fast and convenient, online is also fast and convenient but sometimes their website is hard to navigate.
ReplyDeleteIt interesting you mention how ABC 12's website can be difficult to follow … I find it interesting how printed publications have advanced leaps on bounds on design in the last few decades only to have websites emerge with lots of headlines and hard to follow navigation akin to the newspapers of 100 years ago. Now, some of that is technology (especially with different web browsers and delivery devices), but I also think a lot of it is the immediacy and dynamic nature of the web where everything is updating and changing, similar to the newspapers of 100 years ago. Added to the chaos are the ads and how they seem to pop out everywhere. I think, and this is just a personal opinion, those who once were the graphic artists and designer at newspapers will one day be just as sought after on the web. The key? Learn the tech, like starting with the basics … HTML and beyond.
ReplyDeleteMy primary source of news comes from radio, specifically Michigan Radio, my favorite NPR station. Whether I am driving or keeping up online, I try to keep up with national and international stories and headlines through their individual programming. I could go into an entire list of shows that I listen to fairly regularly, but I won't.
ReplyDeleteAs far as local news, since I live in Lansing and write for the Lansing City Pulse, I try to read all of the other stories in the paper every week. Periodically I will read the Lansing State Journal online or tune into the CBS local affiliate news show, but that is hardly habit.
I'll also read the New York Times online, Vanity Fair in print, and keep up on pop-culture and movie news through blogs like Monkey See or I Watch Stuff.
Elise Shire- For local news, I turn to my community newspaper, The Clarkston News. For national news, I often turn to CNN, both on television and on the web. On occasion I turn to the local 4 news or clickondetroit.com. I often prefer to get my news through the web because I find it the easiest to navigate and find exactly what I'm looking to know. The TV is my second most-preferred source because the stories are brought to life with video, which tends to make it more interesting and bring new life to the story.
ReplyDeleteMarty Dow-I do not read newspapers, I find them too tedious. I like to be able to browse at high speed to find what news articles interest me. Yet when I really want to focus on an article, or keep track of it I print it out and read a hard copy. For my news consumption I use several types. I watch a limited amount of broadcast news, I do have my channel of choice. I listen to the radio while I am driving and listen to talk radio or news channels. I use my droid phone to access anything that is breaking news (I also listen to streaming news radio on my phone), and I have multiple websites send daily alerts or news worthy items to my e-mail. Things have come a long ways since I was a child. I have always liked the news, and used to listen to a handheld transistor radio to hear the news broadcast of the day. That was in the early 70's and the station was A.M. 760 WFDF in Flint.
ReplyDeleteFor my news, I turn to my trusty sidekick...Droidy. He handles all my calls, text messages, games, and also gives me a steady stream of news from my Associated Press App. It's not much, but I get headlines of the last day in a marquee on my phone. I can then dive deeper if a headline catches my interest or my curiosity.
ReplyDeleteI get a majority of my news from television I hate to admit. I try to watch several newscasts a day on a couple of different networks. I also enjoy reading the Flint journal when I get a chance to pick it up. I have a CNN,NPR and Google news widgets/apps on the homepage of my computer and listen to Michigan public radio as well for news.
ReplyDelete