Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Making Strides Against Cancer Walk occurred on Oct. 15 at the Flat Lot across from the University Pavilion. Approximately 2,600 attended, including 319 cancer survivors, such as Barbara Armstrong. "I was diagnosed 16 years ago. I've been rediagnosed seven times. It's moved all over my body. I've lost my hair six times. I'm almost done with my [current] treatment. And I refuse to give up."

The event saw much participation from the students of UM-Flint, such as the CAB organization. The walk also drew support from businesses in the area, like Taylor and Morgan, an accounting firm that let their employees have the day off to participate. These facts are based on my own article about the event for the Michigan Times. Unfortunately, it wasn't up last time I checked so the article the Flint Journal wrote can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment